Top Ten Tuesday was started by The Broke and the Bookish, and has now moved to That Artsy Reader Girl. Every Tuesday there’s a different topic. This week is Top Ten cover redesigns I either love/hate but I chose to do Top Ten favourite tropes.
10. Enemies to lovers. I absolutely love when two people who hate each other end up being paired up together and, after discovering they have a lot in common once they actually get to know each other, falling in love.
9. Misfit families. I am a huge sucker for those groups of friends who have become family, who will protect each other, fight for each other.
8. Space Opera. Really, anything set in space but books deems a space opera really get me. Insta-buy.
7. Unconventional Couples. Those couples who should never work but somehow do. Yes please.
6. Metamorphosis. Watching a character transform through the pages. So cool.
5. Fake dating. All of the fake dating tropes please.
4. Competitors falling in love. Different than enemies in love, mostly because they don’t necessarily hate each other and the competitive nature fuels them.
3. The villain is actually the hero. Spending the whole book thinking you have this evil character pegged only to find out they’ve been working behind the scenes to undo all the work of the true villain.
2. Best friends taking on the world. In any setting, the us against the world mentality.
- Magical competitions. Always so much fun to read.