Top Ten Tuesday was started by The Broke and the Bookish. Every Tuesday there’s a different topic. This week’s topic is Top Ten audio freebie. I’m doing Top Ten books I’d watch as a musical.
10. More Happy Than Not – Adam Silvera. I loved this book in print form and I would definitely see it as a musical with a eclectic collection of songs. The fast-paced song when they’re playing, a funny one about the book series the main character loves, the big ballad of realization.
9. All the Bright Places – Jennifer Niven. I know this one is being turned into a movie but I would totally turn into a puddle of tears at Violet and Finch singing about their pain.
8. Salt to the Sea – Ruta Sepetys. Historical musicals have resonated with me and I could see myself falling head over heels with this one.
7. Open Road Summer – Emery Lord. Is it cheating when this book is already so music-influenced?
6. The Wrath and the Dawn – Renee Ahdieh. The dresses on the two covers make me want to see them on stage. I can imagine my favourite song from this being the one where she would sing about realizing that she’s falling for the person she’s supposed to kill.
5. Rites of Passage – Joy N Hensley. I think I would have trouble choosing a favourite song in a musical adaptation of this one. It would be either one of the intricate group numbers where the cadets are being put through their paces or Sam’s big moment of determination song.
4. Fangirl – Rainbow Rowell. It would be totally fun to see Simon and Baz always popping up on the corner of the stage as if in Cath’s imagination.
3. The Silent Swan – Lex Keating. Another one that would likely have a toss-up for favourite song. It would be between the cute couple-y song sung while our mains are having a cooking lesson or the fun song sung by everyone playing baseball.
2. The Selection – Kiera Cass. The book series didn’t blow me away but it was fun to read, much like I think a musical of the series would be. And the gowns and dance sequences!
1. The Orphan Queen – Jodi Meadows. I think this one would have a clear favourite song. The one where Wil first meets the Black Knife alone. Or maybe Wil singing about remembering the night her Kingdom was taken.