Top Ten Tuesday was started by The Broke and the Bookish. Every Tuesday there’s a different topic. This week’s topic is Top Ten reasons I love X. I chose to do reasons I love YA fantasy.
10. The supporting cast. There’s often a lot of characters surrounding the main one and I often get just as attached to them.
9. The dynamics between the characters. There’s so many different relationships that can happen. Siblings, bodyguard, extended family, friends, enemies. I usually enjoy them all.
8. Magic. I love reading how about magic is incorporated into the plot with each new book.
7. The Kingdom’s story. I consider this a little different than overall world-building but a part of it. I like learning not just about the world but also about the kingdom where our main character/s reside.
6. Romance. I like all the different ways romance can be added to the plot without overtaking it.
5. The bad guys. I find the villains in fantasy books to usually be interesting and not evil just for the sake of being evil but there’s usually(hopefully) a deeper story to uncover.
4. Small villages. I love when the character/s venture outside the castle walls and end up going through or staying at small villages and meeting people they wouldn’t normally meet inside the castle.
3. Re-tellings. I am a huge fan of re-tellings and I love seeing how the original is incorporated into the new story.
2. World-building. I always start off with so many questions about how the world got the way it did or how the politics work or so on and it’s great to have them answered throughout the book.
1. Growth. My favourite thing in any book will usually be the growth of the main character through the book and fantasy offers so many ways for a character to grow. Weak to strong, Overconfident to humble, shy to confident, invisible to a leader.